Monday, December 26, 2011

Day #7 & #8 - Amman, Jordan


Yesterday, we traveled to the Dead Sea for a Christmas Day dinner, and it was a terrific experience. On the way there, it was raining in Amman, but the closer we got to the Dead Sea, the warmer it got, the fog lifted and the rain disappeared. We discussed it perhaps as a sign that God was happy that it was Christmas Day, and at the Dead Sea, he was sending the good weather just at the Dead Sea as a sign or statementJ.  We had a wonderful buffet lunch at the Movenpick right above the shore of the Dead Sea. I’ve never seen a location/resort/spa so beautiful as this one. To relax, this would be the place to be to just unwind and decompress in numerous relaxation pools. Probably over 10+ relaxation pools, and healing salt pools from salt water. I got to feel the water, and it is very oily, and I can see why these products are used on a large scale for the benefit of skin and hair condition. Upon entry you are given Arabic tea, a very sweet and herbal tea, which is very flavorful, and Arabic coffee, which was very nice and intense also.  We were given an extensive tour, which was very gracious of the guard at the spa, who was dressed in traditional Jordanian cultural dress. This resort and spa is magnificent, and there really are no words to describe. On the way to the dinner, we saw many camels on the side of the road, which was neat to see, and I’ve included pictures of several-I have never seen one so close before.  The Jordanian culture is such a giving culture, especially concerning guests, I am thoroughly so warmed and welcomed by the graciousness and giving to make sure I have paid for food, drinks, and such genuine concern with how else I can be assisted by the people, it is so gracious and kind. Shadi’s family who treated me as a guest, we so generous, and I am very appreciative.  I have never experienced a culture so giving to guests and that show such hospitality, it is so admirable, and I aim to adjust my personal hospitality to do the same, when I have company and guests, it is so inviting, and really makes guests feel so welcomed, as people to go extensively out of their way to make sure you are having a good time, and are provided with everything.  I am also told, “you are always welcome here in Jordan,” which to be honest, I was not expecting, and is so comforting for me to hear. I’ve been very touched. This Christmas Day, I will always remember fondly.















I met with the gentleman who will be organizing the Middle East fraud forum in 2013, for another discussion on the topic, and asked how I may assist, perhaps in a panel discussion at the forum in 2013, or in perhaps engaging American professors to let them know that the forum will take place in the Middle East, and to see if they would like to attend we discussed. He is interested to have the collaboration within academic American universities and with professors being involved, because as I stated before America does not train our college auditors, accountants, and future fraud professionals well at the academic levels or at all in fraud prevention and detection, there is little training in fraud in universities if any, as is the same in the Middle East universities, and I strongly agree with his approach in wanting to change this in both regions. We need strong young leaders, who are equipped to detect, prevent, and prosecute fraud and corruption, with steel backbones. Sometimes there will have to go up against executives double their age, to audit them, and investigate them, this is not easy to do this, when dealing with a high level and even C-Suite executive, you must be trained and know what you are doing, and it is incredibly stressful for someone ½ the age, investigating a senior level executive, talking about this, made me remember those days, they were very trying personally. Fraud and corruption shouldn’t be allowed in governments or the private sector in any country, and perhaps its up to us with the anti-fraud experience to be the champions for this through education and higher training standards, through massive education, and in writing articles and case studies, and being the fire-starters for change. I hope to be able to assist how I can in the future and with my own personal contacts that may assist.  Fraud fighters in the Middle East need to be supported fully. 

I also met a member of the BPWA today, and she mentioned how she works with Jordanian youth at universities speaking about entrepreneurship & business, and she inquired more about social entrepreneurship, when she heard why I was here in Amman.  She relayed to me that there are many Jordanian young people who want to start businesses, and want to do something to help the world, but many have never thought about combining the two concepts into one; something we call “social entrepreneurship” and “social enterprise” in America and Europe, but there isn’t much knowledge of the concept here in the Middle East. Her thought was that the university students would love to hear more about social entrepreneurship through a presentation, similar to the one I’m providing to the Queen Rania Center for Entrepreneurship on Wednesday now.  She was very interested in this topic, and wanted to learn more, so I will be keeping in contact with her, and sending my presentation to her, so that perhaps I can assist further in this area in the future, even beyond leaving Jordan. I haven’t heard anything about any social enterprises in Jordan yet that do exist, so it will be very interesting to see how the topic gains momentum in the Middle East, and it is my hope that many students will be interested and will start their own social enterprises in the future, and that the fire will start in their local communities and then globally to effect change, by learning about the concept; a concept that many young people with a passion to help the world are very excited about, when they hear about it for the first time.

















Social Enterprise Presentation:




0 comments:

Post a Comment