Thursday, December 22, 2011

Arriving in Amman, Jordan - December 2011


Travel to Amman, Jordan:

My trip to Amman was much longer than I thought it was. The next time I fly to the Middle East, I think I will do a direct flight, after 3 different legs, and over 15 hours! No amount of caffeine can keep you going at that pointJ.  Landing at the airport was an experience, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I consider myself a very knowledgeable person when it comes to culture and countries, with a worldly view and a degree in International Business, as cultures are a passion of mine, but the Middle East is so different from the U.S. and even Europe, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Traveling with my pink luggage and purple and black bag probably exuded “American” to most people at the airport, so could work on blending in a bit better of course, I spent about an hour waiting to get a visa, and may have been one of the very few in this line that was an American. I noticed immediately the predominate cultural difference when seeing many covered Muslim women at the airport, and my wonderful roommate from Pepperdine who lives in Amman, waited for me for awhile without knowing I arrived at the airport, since there were such long lines at immigration and passports and in obtaining a visa. I finally made it through, and found my friend Rasha and her boyfriend Shadi waiting for me patiently on the other side.  Although most signs are in Arabic, which I have no knowledge of, it was nice to see that there were English translations below everything also, it was very helpful. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment